aboutpersonal stylediy projectsbusinessshoppe

Monday, June 18, 2012

Choosing a Romantic Life

“I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and... I believe in miracles” ~ Audrey Hepburn.


So what do I mean by romantic? I think of words like: 

Quaint -- old fashioned -- Anne of Green Gables -- pretty things -- lace -- flowers -- cute dresses -- the smell of the wild wooded countryside -- Grandma's chocolate cake -- hand written notes -- the smell of a wood fire -- a warm summer thunderstorm -- hope chests -- cascading locks of hair -- pretty painted nails -- a worn Bible -- Christmas mornings -- picnics on a checkered blanket -- pretty kitchen dishes -- hand quilted quilts worn with passing time -- warm mittens and socks -- hot cocoa on a cold wind blown day -- rosy cheeks -- a room lit by candle light --  A bed time talk with  a sister

An old fashioned, nostalgic, sense of the word. Seizing all the moments of the day to day things that pass us up so fast. An innocent childlike wonder at the things around us. Things that we often don't have time for. The things that our grand children will think so quaint and old fashioned are right before our eyes. 
I believe God gave me so many blessings in my life, and I don't want to miss those sweet little romantic happenings that make my life so special. I want to remember these moments, I want to create beautiful things. I want to make things pretty if I can. If I make lemonade in a ugly plastic cup and I have a cute thrifted ball jar, I want to use it instead. It isn't much, but it is pretty. Not that life is all about pretty things, but I see no harm in making it a little bit prettier if I have the chance too. 

Some may think it's shallow of me to do so, but I so long for the quaint old romantic things in life. I try to see the beauty in small things and make memories that last a lifetime. This is a fallen world, but God is so gracious to me that He has given me so many little romantic things to fill my life with if I choose to see them. But I have to make a conscious decision to see them because discontent and jealousy have blinded me before. Blogs can seem so perfect, and I can sometimes feel suddenly discontent with my own life. But your life can be quaint and romantic if you choose to see it.

What do you believe? Do you also long for a romantic life? 

P.S. this post was first inspired by my lovely friend Katie's post on her blog. Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment